[FFmpeg-user] Is this a video file?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Mar 1 13:31:26 CET 2014

Am 01.03.2014 13:16, schrieb Christian Ebert:
>> [harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ file --version
>> file-5.14
>> magic file from /etc/magic:/usr/share/misc/magic
>
> $ file --version
> file-5.04
> magic file from /usr/share/file/magic

as said: typical Apple behavior

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=418
file-5.04-17.fc14 2011-06-02 05:22:49

>> i bet the reason is that the file command on OSX is a
>> horrible outdated version like usual other CLI tools
>> like bash are at that time webm was not known at all
>
> And that Apple "discourages" any other formats and codecs than
> QuickTime compatabile ones

no they, simple do not care about software updates

and even the file-5.04 version from Fedora did know about webm
because it was patched, see changelog from August 2010

* Tue Aug 24 2010 Jan Kaluza <jkaulza at redhat.com>
- 5.04-15 - fix #626591 - support for WebM format

> huh? OS X comes with Apache and you can set the mime-type no
> problem in the appropriate places

yes you can do all by hand or get a real operating system
normally the Apple attitude is "you do not need to know anything
and we care about all what you need" until it comes to hard technical
facts then you are always at your own