[FFmpeg-user] av_interleaved_write_frame(): No buffer space available

Jim Sustacek sustacek at umn.edu
Tue Mar 4 18:57:27 CET 2014

So I've been getting the following message occasionally, as FFMPEG halts a
x264/aac MPEG-TS live encoding process:

av_interleaved_write_frame(): No buffer space available

Simply killing the offending FFMPEG process and running its command again
gets me back up, but even with a script monitoring things closely, I miss a
few seconds of live video, live viewers get a little interruption, and my
events are split across two files.

What does the error mean?  And what's the best way to troubleshoot it?

I have been running various FFMPEG 2.1.x builds (by tessus) on Mac OS X 10.8
(Mountain Lion) on eight different systems (four Mac Minis and four Mac
Pros, all new in 2013), and I get this error on each of them periodically
(usually one machine per day).  I try keeping an eye on Apple's Activity
Monitor, and things seem to be OK there: even running as many as 4
simultaneous instances of FFMPEG, I've usually got 60% CPU free, 6 GB free
RAM, and usually a few hundred GB of hard drive space on my Mac Pro systems
(both on an OS drive and a second drive I use only for FFMPEG encoded
files).  All of my video is x264 and compressed quite a bit (usually less
than 1 Mbps).  For what it's worth, on the Mac Pro systems, two FFMPEG
instances are compressing piped input from bmdcapture (command line utility
for Blackmagic Intensity Pro devices), writing to files and named pipes for
two other FFMPEG instances to combine and compress further.  bmdcapture
reports no errors.

I'd go into more detail about my setup, but right now, I am just looking for
a place to get started on troubleshooting this thing.