[FFmpeg-user] Windows Media Player cannot play the file

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Mar 10 22:18:18 CET 2014

On 3/10/2014 3:39 AM, James Darnley wrote:
> On 2014-03-10 04:33, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> On 3/9/2014 7:35 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
>>> Perhaps this should be in bigger letters?
>>
>> Hi, Tom:  Thanks for the reply.  What "should be put in bigger
>> letters?"  How can I do that?  Thanks, Spencer
> This is what he means.  Read it!

Thanks very much to Tom and James. It worked. For completeness of the
thread, the following was successful:

ffmpeg -y -r 2 -i tst%d.png -b 300k -pix_fmt yuv420p tst.mp4

> As for uploading to youtube, just make the highest quality file.  They
> will re-encode it anyway.  But if you are aiming to produce a file that
> will play on any basic Windows installation you will want to read this:
> http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#Which-codecs-are-supported-by-Windows_003f

Thanks for the reference. I'm still confused.

1. ‘mpeg1video’ produces .mpg only, which "should work on most Windows
systems". This uses MPEG-1, which "due to its age ... is no longer
covered by any patents and can thus be used without obtaining a licence
or paying any fees", according to the Wikipedia article on MPEG-1. This
sounds like a strong potential.

2. We are "strongly advised to avoid ASF where possible." If I
understand correctly, this includes the first four options listed there:
‘msmpeg4v2’, ‘msmpeg4’, ‘wmv1’, and ‘wmv2’. A similar concern may apply
to the fifth option, 'mpeg4': AT&T actively "trying to sue companies
such as Apple Inc. over alleged MPEG-4 patent infringement." (Wikipedia,
"MPEG-4")

3. What codecs are used by default? If MPEG-1 video and Layer I/II
audio, that sounds great. Wikipedia, "MPEG-1", says, "MPEG-1 video and
Layer I/II audio is no longer covered by any patents."

4. Also, is YUV420p a codec or something else?

Thanks again.
Spencer

p.s. I apologize for misreading Tom's initial reply: I received 3 lines
from him. The first two looked to me initially like part of the example
I had supplied, so I read only the third line. James' reply clarified
the confusion.