[FFmpeg-user] Windows Media Player cannot play the file

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Mar 10 23:39:10 CET 2014

On 3/10/2014 3:23 PM, James Darnley wrote:
> On 2014-03-10 22:18, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> On 3/10/2014 3:39 AM, James Darnley wrote:
>>> As for uploading to youtube, just make the highest quality file.  They
>>> will re-encode it anyway.  But if you are aiming to produce a file that
>>> will play on any basic Windows installation you will want to read this:
>>> http://ffmpeg.org/faq.html#Which-codecs-are-supported-by-Windows_003f
> Just so we are clear.  None of this applies to a file you want to upload
> to youtube.  It doesn't matter what you give it.  They will re-encode it
> so it plays in browsers.
>
> Uploading to youtube would be an easy way to not have to provide tech
> support to some layperson about getting your video to play.

       Thanks again for the reply.

       My current project is to produce a 1-minute video to upload to
YouTube and give to a Public Access television station, with the hopes
that they will slot it in when they could use fillers -- where
commercial stations put commercials.  I should ask them what formats
they use.

       Thanks again.
       Spencer