[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg -ss start-time issue

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Mar 27 16:09:02 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 15:31:35 +0100, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:

> Or at that point isn’t a I-frame/Keyframe and the nearest is taken.
> It’s not possible to cut at an arbitrary frame without re-encoding to
> an all I-frame/Keyframe file.

I think this is not true. I believe it should be phrased:
It's not possible to cut at an arbitrary frame without re-encoding,
unless the input is all keyframes.

When re-encoding, ffmpeg can seek to any frame.

Cutting takes place before re-encoding and doesn't care about the
output codec, as implied by your sentence.

Moritz