[FFmpeg-user] Minimum configuration settings for ffprobe-only

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 20:17:48 CEST 2014

On 2014-03-31 17:39, Eugene Gekhter wrote:
> I'm aware of this - for example it can read a canopus hqx .avi  and know
> the codec parameters, but the last line of the ouput will be unsupported
> codec at stream 0. We can depend on the logic if that message does not
> appear, then that file can be used by "ffmpeg -i ..." ?

No you can't.  ffprobe will not check the whole file for integrity.

Someone could make a file in which the first 20MiB would look like a
correct file and then stick 20GiB worth of null bytes on the end.

Or more likely there is a small corruption in the middle of the file
which causes an unrecoverable error when decoding causing ffmpeg to abort.