[FFmpeg-user] Fastest way to check integrity of video files

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat May 17 12:01:29 CEST 2014

Molly Millions <mollyrazormillions <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I currently use this command in order to detect possible
> errors in video files:

Could you explain a little more?

If your input file is a transport stream (read from
dvb) then it will (practically) always start with
"errors" (because partial and/or nonkey-frames are
sent to the decoder) but that neither makes the
decoding fail nor is there anything (that makes
sense) possible for you to avoid the errors.

Or do I misunderstand?

> ffmpeg -i INPUT -f mp4 -benchmark -y null

$ ffmpeg -i INPUT -f null -

will be (at least) a magnitude faster but as said
please explain your usecase.

Carl Eugen