[FFmpeg-user] Dual Xeon VS Haswell-E, maximize fps

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Wed Oct 1 18:21:59 CEST 2014

Some additional things to consider.

Perofrm some short tests, with a 1000 frames file, try with threads 1, threads 2, threads 3, etc
Threads 1 gives you 100% of a single core say 4fps. Threads 2 doesn’t perform 8fps, because of overhead, and adding another thread adds less then the 2nd core. The sum of several single threaded encodings will result in more total-fps then 1 multithreaded encoding.

If you want 40fps you can easily add as many DualCelerons as mentioned before to get the desired result, you only need to add the ‘missing’ fps to the CPU you already have.

If you could send a 1000frames file, I’m happy to test te results for the mentioned Celeron.

Henk