[FFmpeg-user] What is the difference between versions of ffmpeg?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Oct 4 12:03:50 CEST 2014

 <skyscanner <at> gmx.ca> writes:

> As I wrote in an earlier thread I am using ffmpeg to
> mix three audio streams down to a single 5.1 stream,
> using this syntax:
>
> ffmpeg -i "original program filename.ts" -c:v copy
> -filter_complex '[0:1][0:2][0:3]
> amerge=inputs=3,pan=5.1:FL=c0:FR=c1:FC=c2:LFE=c3:BL=c4:BR=c5'
> -c:a mp2 "converted program filename.ts"
>
> This works fine on my OS X machine, which is running
> this version:
>
> $ ffmpeg -version
> ffmpeg version 2.2.2-tessus

This is old and not really supported on this mailing list.

> $ ffmpeg -version
> ffmpeg version 1.0.10

> The version there is from the
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free

I have no idea why you are trying this version that is
exactly two years old (well, I do know now that I looked
at the new download page, it actually is highly
misleading, sorry about that).

Please either compile current FFmpeg git head by
yourself, by default you get a static binary that you
don't have to install to use and that cannot interfere
with anything you already have on your system.

As an alternative, please use the static binaries
provided on http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

> What is the difference between the two versions that
> might cause one to produce jerky video and the other
> smooth playback

One is a little too old and unsupported the other
ancient.

> and is there any way I can get something more like
> the OS X version on my Debian box?

Please see above.

Carl Eugen

PS: Don't believe the lies spread on other mailing
list, they are only written to confuse you and other
users ;-)
Please find more information on
http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html