[FFmpeg-user] What is the difference between versions of ffmpeg?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Oct 5 00:29:43 CEST 2014

Am 05.10.2014 um 00:22 schrieb Phil Rhodes:
>> ...the process of compiling from source. I know there are Linux users that do that, but I can only do it if there are very clear, explicit, line by line instructions...
> You aren't alone. I've mentioned this problem, on this list, many times. Most open source software uses a combination of commandline tools, with scripts and code in various formats and languages required to build it. This is emphatically not simple - at least not as simple as loading a Visual Studio project in Windows. It is not reasonable to expect everyone to be able to do it.

then just use a source for a binary like a distribution

> The open source community deals with this situation by denying that it exists and is often inexcusably impolite

it does not exist - the developers offer *their work* in form of
source code - who do you think you are to demand them offer a
"just happy to use" binary additional to the development work?

>> only because you refuse to learn
> ...like that. There is often a complete lack of respect for any form of skill or ability other than software engineering, to the point that some projects (ffmpeg included) have suffered some quite egregious technical omissions because they simply won't take anyone's input.

you still don't get it

* just intsall the packge from your distribution
* if it don't fullfill your needs complain there
* if you don't want to complain there just learn to build the source

> Don't feel bad. The technical problems we're discussing here, and the attitude problem underlying them, are one of the main things holding back open source software from what could be its full potential

it has the full potential

* just use pre-built packages from the sources
* hire one to build them for your needs
* learn to build them at your own

well, finally you could offer enough money to a upstream
developer for build a binary at your your needs

try the same with closed source and look how far you get