[FFmpeg-user] Any ffmpeg plugin for image stabilization that handles walking tilt?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:07:16 CEST 2014

Hi there.

I have begun playing around with using a wearable camera that just clips
into your shirt, like w mic clip.
It records MJPEG at 720x480 which is enough for my uses, recording daily
walks around the city.

But there's one issue I had not taken into account: the body (actually
torso) where the cam is attached to moves a LOT while walking, you might
not perceive it since your neck/head does a lot of stabilization on its
own, coupled with any built-in image stabilization done by the brain (great
firmware!).

I was shocked when I first saw the recording of me walking very fast, it
looked as if was recoded from a helmet cam by Godzilla rampaging throughout
the city.

The problem is not only the shacking but the TILT. The body tilts a bit
with each step.

I have read here about the "deshake" option in FFMPEG
http://adaptivesamples.com/2014/05/30/camera-stabilisation-with-ffmpeg/

But I'm curious as to what algorithm it uses, or if it is tweakable at all
to compensate for side-tilt while walking in addition to vertical shake.

Someone on the above post talks about the
vidstabdetect and vidstabtransform filters, but without giving further
detail on why those are better.

Looking around, I came across this IEEE research paper (sorry,I could only
read the abstract, don´t have access to it)...

"A physiological camera shake model for image stabilization systems"

That seems to address specifically the complexities of stabilization needed
due to walking.
¨
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6127172&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6127172

" It successfully reproduces subjective observations made about the shape
and time evolution of hand tremor-induced motion blur patterns. Our model
is compared to the simpler random-walk and straight-line-walk models as
well as previously reported experiments. It paves the way towards accurate
deblurring and optimal image stabilization algorithms by providing
realistic motion blur point spread function matrices. To our best knowledge
it is the first model in which both spectral and statistical
characteristics fit several ground truths from literature."

In short: I´d like to know if there´s any FOSS filters -both for FFMPEG and
third party ones for ie Virtualdub or Avidemux, that represents the
state-of-the-art in image stabilization post-processing wrt to walking
recordings...

Thanks in advance!
FC
PS: I know what some of you will say: Just wear the camera above your head,
not below your neck. Well, that's not an option for me.
PS2: I´m crossposting on the dev list in case any devs are likely more
aware then users...

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell