[FFmpeg-user] avfoundation on osx 10.7.5: issues with audio input

John Robinson jrobinsonmedia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:39:43 CET 2015

On Mar 4, 2015, at 4:30 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> John Robinson <jrobinsonmedia <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to apply the patches, but I just joined the
>> list recently so don't have the actual emails.
>
> Please test this patch and report back:
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-February/168738.html
>
> Thank you and sorry for the delay!
>
> Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen

I don't understand the 'top post' thing, but I'll comply :) My mail client always puts my cursor at the top.

Anyway, I tried the two patches Thilo sent a bit ago, with the same error. "Audio format is not supported". I'm trying now to hack away at these lines...

if (basic_desc->mFormatID == kAudioFormatLinearPCM &&
        ctx->audio_float &&
        ctx->audio_bits_per_sample == 32 &&
        ctx->audio_packed) {
        stream->codec->codec_id = ctx->audio_be ? AV_CODEC_ID_PCM_F32BE : AV_CODEC_ID_PCM_F32LE;
    } else if (basic_desc->mFormatID == kAudioFormatLinearPCM &&
        ctx->audio_signed_integer &&
        ctx->audio_bits_per_sample == 16 &&
        ctx->audio_packed) {
        stream->codec->codec_id = ctx->audio_be ? AV_CODEC_ID_PCM_S16BE : AV_CODEC_ID_PCM_S16LE;
    } else {
        av_log(s, AV_LOG_ERROR, "audio format is not supported\n");
        return 1;
    }

I'd like to throw more details in the av_log() call. This patch held a lot of promise but something is still amiss. How would I log 'ctx', or even 'ctx->audio_bits_per_sample'?

Thanks to both of you for the help so far! Being able to record my screen and mic audio is exciting to say the least!

JR