[FFmpeg-user] ffvhuff mkv playback issues and odd coloured artefacts

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 12:52:12 CET 2015

Kai Hendry wrote:

> Solution: Use ffplay or mpv instead of mplayer

When faced with rgb or yuv444 what the player does is somewhat dependent
on an individual uses system setup WRT hardware/libs.

The player may or may not subsample depending on this.

You also need a codec/container that handles rgb for best results.

>> Next problem that I'm noticing, are these odd artifacts in my
>> recording: http://s.natalian.org/2015-03-04/artifacts.png I'm not
>> sure what this phenomenon is called. Or how to avoid it. Does
>> anyone know?
>
> Solution: "color space conversion" artifact. Solved by "Lossless
> recording" from https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop

FWIW converting rgb desktop to yuv444 is not lossless - you end up with
less colours and by default (IIRC) the black/white levels will be scaled
from pc to tv. This is good in a way as most players will expect yuv to
be tv levels and expand, but keeping rgb is the only truly lossless way
and this seems to be what I get with x11 grab by default.