[FFmpeg-user] OT(?) - ffmpeg speed of subtitle generation, vlc Vs mythtv

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Thu Mar 12 00:06:06 CET 2015

Hi,

My daughter made some karaoke-like videos with a bunch of colour-changing
lyric-subtitles into MKV files (with fonts embedded).

VLC plays them back fine, but on the same hardware, MythTV struggles with
the subtitle rendering - to the point of reducing the frame-rate.

As far as I know, both VLC and MythTV use ffmpeg for the rendering of the
video frames.

Is there an ffmpeg option available that perhaps VLC is using to pre-compute
the subtitle images (or suchlike) that MythTV does not?

It works fine on both vlc & mythfrontend with my workstation, so it looks
CPU bound.

cheers,
-kt