[FFmpeg-user] copy hls m3u8 stream with ffmpeg

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Apr 13 18:32:15 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 23:56:52 +0900, 桃源老師 wrote:
> 1. Original poster seems to using Mac OS X version of ffmpeg.  Having mostly "Invalid data found when processing input".
> 2. I also using Mac OS X version of ffmpeg.  Having mostly "Invalid data found when processing input".

Non-deterministic, intermittent problems are always shady. Sure, some
check may rely on payload which is different at different times.

> 3. You are using some kind of unix version of ffmpeg.  But don't have the issue of "Invalid data found when processing input"

Mac OSX is also "some kind of Unix", and even more like a UNIX(tm) than
Linux ever was. :)

I'm using Linux on x86.

> I am not sure but these phenomenon might be showing something in Mac OS X version of ffmpeg...
> Am I wrong?

With that argumentation, there could just as well be something wrong
Mac OS X. ;-)

Now back to being honest, I was *going* to ask for your OSX version and
platforms, and was going to say that debugging this by source
inspection is difficult, because ffmpeg has so many possibilites of
returning "invalid data". Perhaps increasing the loglevel ("-loglevel
debug") would have shown us more information about what ffmpeg's
problem is.

But: I found the difference the two of you were ignoring: I'm using a
recent ffmpeg from git, you are using 3.0.1. I mananged to reproduce
your issue with 3.0.1 (but it sometimes succeeds).

Look here (a different 64bit machine), the static Linux builds from
http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/:

[user at hostname static]$ for exe in ffmpeg-*-static/ffmpeg; do echo "***** $exe *****"; $exe -loglevel warning -i http://nflioslivesvg2-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/221521/nflioslive/2015HackerNow_w99d9_g.m3u8; done
***** ffmpeg-3.0.1-32bit-static/ffmpeg *****
http://nflioslivesvg2-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/221521/nflioslive/2015HackerNow_w99d9_g.m3u8: Invalid data found when processing input
***** ffmpeg-3.0.1-64bit-static/ffmpeg *****
http://nflioslivesvg2-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/221521/nflioslive/2015HackerNow_w99d9_g.m3u8: Invalid data found when processing input
***** ffmpeg-git-20160413-32bit-static/ffmpeg *****
[mpegts @ 0xbb438e0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
[hls,applehttp @ 0xbb3c380] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
At least one output file must be specified
***** ffmpeg-git-20160413-64bit-static/ffmpeg *****
[mpegts @ 0x5735000] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
[hls,applehttp @ 0x572c360] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086)): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
At least one output file must be specified
[user at hostname static]$

So: Please update to latest git, it might fix your problem. If we can
find out which change (commit) to ffmpeg-git fixed this behavior, it
could be back-ported for 3.0.2 (if not already done) before its release.

(Might be related to this ticket:
 https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5248
 I couldn't find anything else.)

On the other hand, once I increased the loglevel, 3.0.1 suddenly
started working for a while. Curious, but perhaps like your
intermittent problems.

Moritz