[FFmpeg-user] PSNR measure

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:55:22 EEST 2018

>> > Hi - I need to measure quality if a live stream, and I was
>> > thinking of measuring PSNR. So I was wondering how
>> > can I run this test since it is a live stream
>>
>> > I do not have a refence stream or video.
>>
>> Then what exactly do you want to measure?
>
> I need to find a metric that somehow let me know if the
> stream has an acceptable quality

While "acceptable quality" is to the best of my knowledge not a
defined metric, it may be useful to measure the quality of an
encoding of your given stream: In general, high quality input
produces better encodings for a given bitrate.
Before actually using this, you should test with many known
"good" and "bad" streams to actually verify this for your use
case.

Carl Eugen