[FFmpeg-user] Question regarding FFmpeg copyright

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 00:55:28 EEST 2018

> Could you please let me know who is the copyright owner of FFmeg?

The developers of FFmpeg (>1000).

> I have an information that it’s Jean-Batiste Kempf. Is its right
> information?

Jean-Baptiste is the copyright owner of the changes he wrote:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=search;s=Kempf;st=author
(This list is not necessarily complete.)

> Also, please, let me know if it’s ok to use ffmpeg binary compiled
> with  --enable-gpl flag in commercial application?

(To "use" FFmpeg is nearly always ok as apart from the warranty
disclaimer only distribution is restricted.)
If you distribute binaries based on FFmpeg source code compiled
with --enable-gpl, you have to fulfill the requirements of the GPL
(that comes with the source code). Among other things this implies
telling your users that your software is licensed under GPL, telling
them what the GPL is (by providing it) and providing the exact
source code you used to compile the software.
Note that it makes no difference whatsoever if you application is
commercial or not.

Carl Eugen