[FFmpeg-user] Colour metadata not preserved when re-encoding ProRes/mov to FFV1/mkv

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:33:07 EEST 2018

Hi Peter :)

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Peter B. <pb at das-werkstatt.com> wrote:
> Hi Reto,
>
> On 24/07/18 21:47, Reto Kromer wrote:
>> We do rewrap ProRes into Matroska. Which is the reason for transcoding
>> it to FFV1?
>
> ...I guess the usual "way out" of proprietary formats?
> As well as format normalization (to have less mixed codecs).
>
> I guess ;)
> @Wen/Kieran: Correct?

Yes indeed!!

Reto: Can you elaborate on the multiplication that you mention? I'm
assuming that this is not just the increase in file size that you
mention, but perhaps you're referring to losslessly compressing a
proprietary lossy codec and ending up with something that could be
more complex than is necessary? I don't see much point in just
remuxing to Matroska really and hadn't considered that option.

Wen will be be doing some research into determining if we can figure
out if anything significant is lost in terms of all the metadata that
ProRes can hold that FFV1 can not. The Framemd5s should match up just
fine, but we'd like to see if we can determine if we should be looking
into more than that. I'm thinking that it all should be doable, we're
just not sure yet if it's best to leave this kind of ProRes alone. I
think even if we go ahead with this normalisation of our legacy
in-house created material, applying it to potential ProRes
donations/deposits would be a different conversation..

Best,

Kieran.