[FFmpeg-user] Anyone having success capturing hours of 4k video, reliably and with low loss, using ffmpeg?

Dragan Randjelovic logicomyu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:52:04 EEST 2018

Recommendation:

-several ssd drives in raid 0 configuration ex. Samsung EVO PRO ( allows
for capacity and speed, and longer read/write life-cycle)  Calculate the
space you need based on codec selection or god forbid based on that long 4K
raw video :)
-use thunderbolt port straight from camera or capture trough some interface
like Black Magic 4K studio pro (preferably over sdi interface) and/or BM
intensity (sdi/hdmi -> thunderbolt.->PC)

use either software coming with the capturing board (which will allow you
to test performance metrics of critical components and show if you are
short on something, offer you a few codec for trans-coding on the fly
etc..) or use ffmpeg with manners ( blackmagic is supported with a caveat -
non-free license, in other words you have to compile ffmpeg for yourself)
Try not to record raw but to transcode on the fly or make use of camera's
potentially built in encoder. Now here is a critical part! Do you have a
reference signal? If not camera can become your reference clock. Rethink
and interconnect reference signal between capturing adapter and camera.
Moreover it's up to you to select the codec of choice ex. AVC intra wont
blow up your core i7 4th gen or newer box. As far as refresh rate value
goes, make sure that both camera and capturing adapter support desired one.
Capture long and prosper!

P>S. Oh sorry I just read top of the house part. I guess 100m is enough.
Forget about clock and use SDI over coax.

This looks like off topic isn't it ?

Regards.
Dragan