[FFmpeg-user] Programmatically detecting 'busiest' parts of a video

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 01:34:44 EEST 2024

Hey Rob,

On 06/08/2024 08.40, Rob Hallam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to programmatically detect the 'busiest' parts of a video- ie
> the most visually active areas. I am leaving audio aside for the
> purposes of considering this.

If by 'busiest' you mean greatest frame-to-frame image movement and if by 'parts' you mean temporal
frame sequences, then you might want to extract motion vector lengths and 'scoreboard' them over
time to find the frame sequences that have the longest MVs. But if by 'parts' you mean the x-y
picture areas with the most movement, MVs could be mapped. Good hunting.

--Mark.