[FFmpeg-user] How to preserve file time

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 22:13:33 EEST 2024

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 10:20 AM Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at cosoco.de> wrote:

> Am 12.08.24 um 19:04 schrieb Mark Filipak:
> >
> > That's a question for your operating system. I can change file times to whatever I want via the TotalCommander file browser. There are probably others.
>
> Isn't removing existing output files samely a question for the OS ?
>
> But for convenience FFmpeg CLI provides option `-y` for this task, so why not thinking about conveniently preserving file times by FFmpeg CLI?
>
> -Ulf

One thing important to note is that if you use linux and bash to
separate commands with && versus ;

&& will not proceed to the following command if the previous command
fails whereas ; will run the command regardless.

In other words if the conversion command failed and you had it set to
delete to input file after conversion, with ; it will delete the file
even if the new file was not created, but with &&, the original file
will not be deleted (or any other commands after the ffmpeg command).