[FFmpeg-user] How to preserve file time

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sat Aug 17 22:53:44 EEST 2024

Am 16.08.24 um 11:43 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 15.08.24 um 23:53 schrieb Ulf Zibis:

>>> It actually will overwrite the output file if it already exists.
>>
>> Which is  exactly what I mean by "delete".
>
> but there is no delete action
You can spin it however you like. The logic around the ‘-y’ option requires an extra additional OS call, in this case querying the existence of the file, before it is overwritten.
Even more ... if the option is not set, a console output must be initiated and the user's input must be parsed too. With the option I suggested, this would not be necessary.

>> Some of you argue, that "OS / file system tasks" should not be in the scope of FFmpeg CLI.
>>
>> To me, "deleting/overwriting existing files" and "preserving file times from input to output" are *both* "OS / file system tasks"
>
> what a nonsense - each and every application overwrites files when you press "save"
When you think of "press", then we are in the GUI world. Most GUI applications I know, ask explicitly before overwriting.