[FFmpeg-user] How to preserve file time

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Wed Aug 21 11:40:37 EEST 2024

Am 20.08.24 um 21:59 schrieb Rob Hallam:
> It is unlikely at this point you will receive an argument you deem applicable.
>
> A call to an OS function is not the same as managing filesystem-level metadata.
>
> If you really want it, it is possible for you to write and maintain
> your own small patch that provides this option and compile your own
> ffmpeg.

Thanks for your arguments, which are worth to think about.

As you see from the arguments of James Ralston, the funcionality around the '-y' option is not that simple, as one – especially Harald – might think.

Well, in the end, "managing filesystem-level metadata", is also just an "OS call".
Since James' arguments, I now have the impression that the implementation of my suggestion might even be easier than the correct handling of the “don't overwrite silently” functionality, at least from the OS call side.

But it is like it is, there is no vote for my proposal.