[FFmpeg-user] How to preserve file time

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Wed Aug 21 13:48:32 EEST 2024

Am 21.08.24 um 10:56 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 20.08.24 um 21:33 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>> There seems some need to outline and precise my original message.
>>
>> 1. For the security of existing data and in some way for convenience (avoid the need to create the potentially overwritten data again) FFmpeg CLI does not silently overwrite existing files. This requires an additional OS filsystem operation (test for existing files with same name)
> irrelevant

Yes – according your definition of NOTHING.

>> 2. For additional convenience FFmpeg provides option '-y' to prevent the user from manually deal with existing files. This requires 2 additional OS filsystem operations (write a message to system output stream + read and parse from system input stream).
> this is not true because "-y" the default from filesystem / OS view of point and needs no action

In this case I agree with you. I mixed up things.

So for 1. it must be additionally:
In case of output file existence 2 additional OS operations are needed and executed: Write a message to system output stream + read and parse users answer from system input stream.
As discovered by James Ralston, the current implementation seems not really secure.

And for 2. it must be:
For additional convenience FFmpeg provides option '-y' to prevent the user from manually deal with existing files. This option dependently allows to skip the 2 additional OS operations above.

> anyobdy with smartness considers jumping out of the window by all your nonsense
To finish this discussion: Just show your IQ-test certificate. ;-)