[FFmpeg-user] Top-posting (was Re: I found the bugs)

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Mon Jun 17 09:53:16 EEST 2024

On 16.06.2024 15:56, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> On 6/16/2024 2:33 AM, Binarus wrote:
>> to solve your problem.
>
>> ... for the same reasons that annoy you
>
>> However, your behavior ... Do you really ...to communicate with you
>
>> I strongly advise you to....
>
>> - You do not have
>
> etc
>
> We only find out who "you" might be until we read down through 50+ lines of message.
>
> Top posting is only useful if the new material stands alone, at which point any quoting is extraneous and ought to have been removed.
>
> Just don't do it (top post).

You're right, and normally, I don't do it (it's not only inappropriate in mailing lists, but also in "normal" one-to-one conversations).

However, in this case I thought it would be OK because my post was not meant as a direct reply to another post, but rather as a general statement about a dozen of other posts that are scattered over this thread. As such, for being totally correct, I should have copied citations from every of those posts at the top of my post before giving my 2 cents, and should have remove the quoted part completely. At the time of writing, I couldn't see enough benefit to do that.

Valuable lesson learned: I'll just shut up in the future if I can't contribute at the technical level. My post obviously effected quite the opposite of what I have intended anyway. When focusing purely on the technical discussion, adhering to posting rules is easier :-)

Too sad that a known troll has got me. When reading his first posts, I got the impression that he knows what he's talking about. Sorry for feeding him.

Best regards,

Binarus