[FFmpeg-user] About trac (bug reporting)

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Wed Jun 19 05:48:27 EEST 2024

On 2024-06-18 07:45, Mark Filipak wrote:

> There needs to be a triage facility between ffmpeg-user and trac in
> which ideas are discussed, problems are thought out, and good problem
> statements are formulated. The triage needs to be led by senior users
> (volunteers) who have been around here a while....

Wait, are you saying that the FFmpeg project would work better if it put
more effort into mentoring contributors and helping them improve their
contributions? What an idea! What could be next, enforcing the
ffmpeg-user code of conduct rules against rudeness? ;-)

I would be delighted but surprised if the project were to set up
something like that. The Python Core Mentorship Program
<https://www.python.org/dev/core-mentorship/> might be a good example to
follow.

In the meantime, I can suggest one form of existing mentorship which
present contributors can try: read and actually follow the bug reporting
guidelines already at <https://ffmpeg.org/bugreports.html>.

> MasterQuestionable appears to be the boss of trac.… The language from
> MasterQuestionable … with a wealth of experience and a common language
> and a particular viewpoint. The language is extremely terse and hard
> to follow.…
I didn't get the impression that MasterQuestionable is the boss of trac.
I do get the impression that MasterQuestionable is doing us the kindness
of working extra hard in trac, because English seems not to be their
native language. By comparison, I have an easy time with writing in trac.