[FFmpeg-user] I found the bugs

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Wed Jun 19 23:58:37 EEST 2024

Apologies to Jim DeLaHunt for initially replying to him directly rather
than to the list as I had intended to do ...

On 19/06/2024 20:48, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> On 2024-06-19 10:25, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>>
>> It could be ffmpeg libavformat m2ts demuxer bug. Get the m2ts stream
>> inspector tool to confirm.
>
> Paul, could you please specify which "m2ts stream inspector tool" you
> are referring to?

Exactly!  I've seen Paul's type before, trolling someone who comes
searching for help on a genuine problem and when asked for actual advice
just drops vague hints rather than saying anything definite that might
turn out to be open to being proved wrong.

I've followed this discussion from the start with much disgust at the
unconstructive carping.  While probably no-one's behaviour if judged in
the harshest light would be entirely beyond reproach, it seems to me
that that should be beside the point.  It is true that FFMPEG and many
other FOSS developers give their time for free, and that should never be
forgotten, but also they themselves should realise that by putting
something 'out there' in the public domain it is only natural that the
public will have opinions about it, and the public, being a
cross-section of society at large, may not always express those opinions
to the liking of the people whose product gave rise to them, the more
particularly so if it is failing in some way.  Nevertheless, if they are
sensible, they can and should be big enough to ignore any emotional
baggage and try to learn from public comment how their product is
failing and endeavour to rectify it.

I too have noticed many difficulties in making clean video cuts with
FFMPEG  -  audio doesn't seem to have the same problems  -  and I
applaud Mark Filipak's tenacity in trying to get to the bottom of the
problem.  Unfortunately, I personally don't have the actual knowledge of
video streaming to be of much assistance to him, but I would urge those
that that do to quit the aggro and *genuinely* try to help him as best
they can.