[FFmpeg-user] key frame

Richard Bartczak richard.bartczak at gmx.de
Fri Jun 28 02:19:50 EEST 2024

Am 28.06.24 um 00:52 schrieb Mark Filipak:
> On 27/06/2024 17.55, Richard Bartczak via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>>
>> Am 27.06.24 um 22:39 schrieb Mark Filipak:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I'm considering buying professional video software to evaluate and
>>> analyze FFmpeg trims and splices and for troubleshooting. My objective
>>> is to improve my edits, and to improve FFmpeg. I'm retired, I have
>>> plenty of time, I have plenty of money.
>>>
>>> From here:
>>> https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/design/guides/videodg/vidguide/basics.html
>>>

>>> "I-frames are also known as key frames because their content is
>>> independent of any other frames and they can be used as a reference
>>> for other frames."
>>>
>>> If "key frame" is simply another name for an I-frame, why are there
>>> two names? pdr0 & Balling at trac.ffmpeg.org hint that key frames are
>>> specific I-frames with specific methods but they don't elaborate and I
>>> don't want to burden them.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate an explanation of 'key frame', or a link to an existing
>>> explanation of course. All I can find is keyframe animation, which of
>>> course is a technique, not an MPEG method.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Mark.
>>>

> Thanks, Gloster. Now I'm going to eliminate everything that has
> nothing to do with key frame.
>
>> Gloster
>
> Oh, look at that. There's nothing left. Hahaha.... I just love
> ffmpeg-user. There's a laugh a minute.

Laugh a few minutes more :

"An example of interview prediction is shown in Figure 10.18. View 0
(top) is predicted
using a hierarchical GOP structure (Chapter 6) using conventional
H.264/AVC tools. Each
GOP consists of an I slice or ‘key picture’ followed by seven B slices."
(Iain E. Richardson - H264 (2nd edition),2010, p. 304).

Iain E. Richardson, refer to https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/author/37268555400

Gloster