[FFmpeg-user] key frame

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Sat Jun 29 15:08:12 EEST 2024

On 27/06/2024 21:39, Mark Filipak wrote:

> I'm considering buying professional video software to evaluate and
> analyze FFmpeg trims and splices and for troubleshooting. My objective
> is to improve my edits, and to improve FFmpeg. I'm retired, I have
> plenty of time, I have plenty of money.
>
>  From here:
> https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/design/guides/videodg/vidguide/basics.html
>
> "I-frames are also known as key frames because their content is
> independent of any other frames and they can be used as a reference for
> other frames."
>
> If "key frame" is simply another name for an I-frame, why are there two
> names? pdr0 & Balling at trac.ffmpeg.org hint that key frames are
> specific I-frames with specific methods but they don't elaborate and I
> don't want to burden them.
>
> I'd appreciate an explanation of 'key frame', or a link to an existing
> explanation of course. All I can find is keyframe animation, which of
> course is a technique, not an MPEG method.

Not sure whether this is any help, but it was suggested when I asked for
suggestions in another place for you.  Unfortunately, it costs though:

https://api.pageplace.de/preview/DT0400.9781136028984_A24429286/preview-9781136028984_A24429286.pdf

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/the-mpeg-handbook/9780240805788/