[FFmpeg-user] Resolve (was Re: key frame)

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 01:37:37 EEST 2024

On 29/06/2024 18.19, Rob Hallam wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 at 22:35, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Only if your router is misconfigured to let all ports through to your
>>> internal network by default.  If it does, then a relatively uncommon
>>> piece of MPEG software will be the least of your problems.
>>
>> That is not true, and if Oliver used his head, he'd know it's not true.
>> 1 - Blackmagic is not reprogramming routers to allow ports into LANs. Ports are allowed in by default.
>
> Thought experiment for you:
>
> Suppose that is true, and I install Resolve on two of my PCs, and one
> of BMD clients who has had access sold to them -- as you put it --
> tries to connect to my address over IPv4 to one of those ports. Which
> PC would answer the connection? Same question, different phrasing: to
> which device's port would it go?

To the port of the IP that the remote system supplies. If there are two systems, A and B, and the
remote user addresses A over that port, then A is accessed. If on the other hand, the remote user
addresses B over that port, then B is accessed. A and B have differing IP addresses. They are on the
same LAN, but they have 2 differing IPs. For example, a class C LAN can have up to 255 computers on
the LAN, but each computer has a different IP address.

>> Don't listen to Oliver or Phil or Jim or others. They are far too permissive and ignorant. Use your
>> own head.
>
> Lots of programs listen on inbound ports:
>
> $ lsof -i -n | grep vlc
> vlc       1657953   rob  11u  IPv4 40096648      0t0  TCP *:8080 (LISTEN)
> vlc       1657953   rob  12u  IPv6 40096649      0t0  TCP *:8080 (LISTEN)

Not on my system.

> The sky is not falling.

Even a good program, if it opens a port, opens a vulnerability. You are risking the life of your
computer on the strength of the listener they put on that port. The truth is: There's no good reason
a computer should ever open inbound ports.

> You are free not to use the software and grumble about open ports if
> you like, no big deal. However, it is poor form to accuse them of
> enabling viruses ...

I didn't 'say' that. That's what you think I 'said'.

>... and worse to accuse them of selling malicious access.

I didn't 'say' that, either.