[FFmpeg-user] Resolve (was Re: key frame)

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 06:23:46 EEST 2024

> On Jun 29, 2024, at 19:07, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> FWIW Resolve uses a database approach to its projects.  (Avid uses files (bins aka .avb files) as does Premiere.  That likely accounts for at least one of the open ports if not more
>
> I think you're referring to collaborative software, not databases.

Resolve is a collaborative software and achieves that collaboration in part via postgreSQL.  When it's set to use sqlite it is a non-collaborative mode.

>> The database approach is true genius: you get extremely fast, powerful, free open source project sharing.  In the array of tradeoffs between editing systems, this one's a plus for Resolve.  But that benefit can involve open ports, and closing them can undermine its ability to function
>
> Yup, trust me, I'm from Blackmagic.

Cool! Doing what?

> Are you a convenience fool? If so, you don't get on my LAN.

I was blown away by the implications of Resolve's approach to collaboration.  I use Avid and Premiere mostly (which both btw enjoy huge benefits from from FFmpeg/FFprobe) I would love to see Avid and Premiere recognize how smart a decision Resolve's postgres integration was and consider doing the same.  I don't see that happening, but it would be transformative.