[FFmpeg-user] Resolve (was Re: key frame)

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 07:39:55 EEST 2024

> If that connects workstations on a LAN, that's fine. If it connects to the Internet, that's not fine.

I've never seen it used across the WAN.  I've wondered whether it would work.  It is common now to edit big TV shows and features using VNC - Jump Desktop typically.  That's a lot of open ports, and secure or not it gets big security-sensitive jobs done without piracy or viruses (that we're aware of)

Postgres by contrast typically involves only one port so maybe it's conceivably more secure in terms of minimizing the number of ports used.

I'm not so sure that open ports are as intrinsically insecure as one might worry.  We set up NodeJS web & API servers frequently -- very simple, very clear in reporting all traffic.  You do see the constant attempts by bad actors, but you can code the servers to not respond to all traffic except those that are permitted by your API terms, and accompanied by a verified token.  Been doing this over a decade with no hacks afaik.

>>> I think you're referring to collaborative software, not databases.
>> Resolve is a collaborative software and achieves that collaboration in part via postgreSQL.  When it's set to use sqlite it is a non-collaborative mode.
>
> Technically, a database has nothing to do with collaboration and distributed procedures. I'm not familiar with postgreSQL. I imagine it incorporates lending with ownership and so is suited to distributed procedures.

In the case of Resolve postgres is the core of that collaboration.  In it is stored all the ever updating edit decisions: the source clip info, the edited sequences (picture and sound), the effects applied, etc etc everything except the actual media is stored as files on a local drive.

You can actually see these decisions write to the database in real time as editors and colorists do their work -- hundreds, sometimes thousands of updates per minute.  And b/c it's postgres, thousand of updates per minute isn't even remotely a burden.