[FFmpeg-user] Configure error with fontconfig

Jim Worrall coniophora at gmail.com
Wed May 1 01:27:46 EEST 2024

> On Apr 30, 2024, at 13:53, Jim Worrall <coniophora at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thank you.  Before changing all the ffmpeg dependencies to shared libraries,
>>> I tried making a static fontconfig.  I removed the packaged fontconfig parts
>>> and built my own static fontconfig, but got the same “fontconfig not found" error.
>>> There is no .so file on the system with *fontconfig* in its name.
>>>
>>> The relevant files may be:
>>> /usr/local/ffmpeg/target/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h
>>> /usr/local/ffmpeg/target/lib/libfontconfig.la <http://libfontconfig.la/>
>>> /usr/local/ffmpeg/target/lib/pkgconfig/fontconfig.pc
>>> /usr/local/ffmpeg/target/lib/libfontconfig.a
>>>

>>> fontconfig.pc contains:
>>> # cat /usr/local/ffmpeg/target/lib/pkgconfig/fontconfig.pc
>>> prefix=/usr/local/ffmpeg/target
>>> exec_prefix=${prefix}
>>> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
>>> includedir=${prefix}/include
>>> sysconfdir=${prefix}/etc
>>> localstatedir=${prefix}/var
>>> PACKAGE=fontconfig
>>> confdir=${sysconfdir}/fonts
>>> cachedir=${localstatedir}/cache/${PACKAGE}
>>>
>>> Name: Fontconfig
>>> Version: 2.15.0
>>> Requires:  freetype2 >= 21.0.15
>>> Requires.private:  libxml-2.0 >= 2.6
>>> Libs: -L${libdir} -lfontconfig
>>> Libs.private:
>>> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>>>
>>> fontconfig.pc seems to be pointing to the right places (except sysconfdir=${prefix}/etc doesn’t exist; I don’t know what it would be looking for there).  I’m perplexed.
>>
>> Small error; ${prefix}/etc DOES exist.  It contains a fonts directory.
>>

> Many times the problem seems to actually be not finding lzma.
> But I have --disable-lzma in my configure command.
> Here’s the end of config.log this time:
> . . .
> brotlicommon -lxml2 -licui18n -licuuc -licudata -lz -llzma -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llzma: No such file or directory
> ERROR: fontconfig not found using pkg-config

Problem solved, although a bit confusing.  It seems there
may have been two problems.  After I provided a static fontconfig,
it still complained that it couldn’t find fontconfig.  But really it was
lzma.  When I built a static lzma (actually xz, which also produces lzma),
the build worked fine.

So it seems the —disable-lzma option doesn’t work; it still
tries to incorporate lzma. But I don’t really understand it.