[FFmpeg-user] Correct configuration for Mac Pro 6, 1 AMD FirePro D500s?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Fri May 24 18:54:53 EEST 2024

пт, 24 мая 2024 г., 12:07 Scott Lutz <scott at entice.ca>:

> I have been trying for a couple of days to leverage the h264_videotoolbox
> hardware acceleration capabilities of ffmpeg on dual AMD FirePro D500s of
> my Mac Pro 6,1, but without success.

Does hw acceleration working anywhere in macos?

google put this short thread first

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8559293?sortBy=best

there is also forum post about some light hacking for getting hw accel on
AMD Polaris+ GPU but this seems to be few gens above VCN 1.0 / VCE 1.0
architecture of your FirePRO.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/activate-amd-hardware-acceleration.2180095/

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/firepro-d500.c2556

Does it work under linux? :)

If you will try with Linux please note that you need amd firmware package
and may be switching kernel driver between radeon and amdgpu ... :

https://discourse.nixos.org/t/how-to-driver-setup-mac-pro-2013-firepro-d500-and-intel-hd-graphics-520-for-wayland-sway/34620/2

 "radeon.si_support=0" "amdgpu.si_support=1" part of kernel command line
(not sure, amdgpu might not give you  especially hw encoder on such old
card, but in general  this gen of GPU was supported for h264 encoding via
mesa's vaapi state tracker. )

I do not think hw supports HEVC encoding....

Here is an example of the output I've