[Libav-user] about ffmpeg's lgpl

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Wed Dec 7 09:44:43 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 23:14, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

>> Yes, you should provide the source code with any build scripts you use.
>
> I am not a native speaker but I wonder if the word "should" (here and below) is
> the right choice...

Correct, my usage of the word "should" was absolutely informal. This
should (pun intended) sound just fine for a native speaker, but could
have caused problems if understood as legally bounding.

FWIW, look how the GPL FAQ [http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html]
uses the word "should". I find it very close to the way I used it in
my amateur explanation.

BR,
Alex Cohn

PS I often find the reactions to licensing questions on this and other
open software lists intimidating. I believe that open software should
(pun intended) be promoted, among other ways, by making it easier to
understand and use, even at risk of somebody unintentionally
misunderstanding of some legal fine print. If, to use free software,
the developers must (pun intended) pay the lawyers, maybe it would be
healthier (and cheaper) to pay for software?