[Libav-user] How can i get just basic info from an input video file by ffmpeg?

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 08:37:16 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 04:27:16PM +1000, Amir Rouhi-Rmit wrote:
> I found dump_format() function (not av_dump_format() ) among ffmpeg source
> codes :  dump_format(ic, 0, is->filename, 0);

You are not up to date then…

> but i would be pleased if you let me know how can i find a tutorial which
> shows how can i use the function ? and which header should be included?

av_dump_format() is just a printing function. It is defined in
libavformat/utils.c. You can look into this file how where it finds the
various information it prints.

If you need some examples on how to use the API, look at the ffmpeg.c,
ffplay.c and ffprobe.c. Also, doc/examples contains various codes that
might help you.

Note: please do not top post, it is considered rude.

Clément B.