[Libav-user] ffmpeg multithreaded decoders and blocking calls?

Robert Nagy ronag89 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:07:39 CEST 2011

Hi

I noted that the latest ffmpeg builds have some form of multithreaded
decoding included.

This might be a problem for me as my application calls ffmpegs' decode
function from inside a task-scheduler, where a blocking thread
synchronization can greatly degrade my application performance.

My question is whether multithreaded decoding is enabled by default? And if
so, is there a way to turn it of at runtime and make all decode function
execute on the calling thread?

I would also appreciate any more detailed information in regards to
how multithreaded decoding works in ffmpeg.

Thank you