[Libav-user] use AVPacket.pts with av_seek_frame()

Fabio Tiriticco fabio.europe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:12:10 CEST 2012

Hi Alexandre,

thanks for your reply and apologies for the delayed reaction.
As an experiment, I am first reading through all the packets, so that I
know that I have an X number of packets. Each packet has a pts value, from
1 to X.

Later on I would like the user to be able to jump to any packet, and then I
need av_seek_frame() to move the header to the right timestamp.  My
reasoning to move it to packet Y has been:

const int64_t pti = pFormatContext.duration / (int64_t)X; // duration of a
packet
const int64_t packetTimestamp = Y * pti;
av_seek_frame(pFormatCtx, videoStream, packetTimestamp * AV_TIME_BASE,
backwardFlag).

to test it, I do this in a loop and try to extract the first ten packets
and use the

avcodec_decode_video2(pCodecCtx, pFrame, &frameFinished, &packet);

after this I check which packet has been extracted from packet.pts.
At this point, when I do ten times in a row the av_seek_frame() call with X
going from 1 to 10, the avcodec_decode_video2() call, the packet.pts that I
extract is always the same number (250) and indeed if I print the frame on
screen it is always the same frame.

I will keep trying. At the moment I am trying to build this in a JNI
environment but I think I'll go to a simple C program to play around with.

Thank you very much for your attention and help,
Fabio

http://famsterdamlife.com