[Libav-user] Avcodec_decode_video2 clariifcation

krishnaks at iwavesystems.com krishnaks at iwavesystems.com
Thu Jun 14 07:08:41 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am using following API to decode H264 frame.

int avcodec_decode_video2(AVCodecContext *avctx, AVFrame *picture,
                         int *got_picture_ptr,
                         const AVPacket *avpkt);
But whenever 3rd parameter got_picture_ptr will be false, after that Whats
the decode behavior.
After this, Propagation delay is getting added to My application.
Only if I am Reinitializing the decoder whenever got_picture_ptr is
false(i.e. deleting decoder & Initializing the Avcodec,AvcodecContext
etc..) My application will work without a propagation delay.

Can anyone explain me what is the reason behind this?

If got_picture_ptr is zero/false, how application should handle this so
that can avoid propagation delay?

Thanks in advance
KP