[Libav-user] av_read_frame returns -32

Bob Self bobslf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:38:15 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Bob Self <bobslf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Andrey Utkin
> <andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/3/11 Bob Self <bobslf at gmail.com>:
>>> The source at that link won't build for me. It uses
>>> avcodec_alloc_context3() and  avcodec_open2() that my ffmpeg
>>> installation does not have. My avcodec version is 52.72.2 on Ubuntu
>>> 11.04. Do you know of a similar example that uses this version?
>>
>> Please consider working with recent ffmpeg versions.
>>
>> --
>> Andrey Utkin
>

> I downloaded the current ffmpeg with git clone
> git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git ffmpeg
> The version of avcodec is 54.10.100
>
> I built it but still get the same error message about
> avcodec_alloc_context3() and  avcodec_open2().
>
> Looking this up I read that "THIS FUNCTION IS NOT YET PART OF THE
> PUBLIC API! we WILL change its arguments and name a few times!"
>
> What am I missing?

Netbeans was pointing me to the wrong header file. I got the latest
version to build, but when I run the example video decoder in the docs
directory I get this error:

Video decoding
[mpeg1video @ 0x16b4ce0] mpeg_decode_postinit() failure
Error while decoding frame 0

Any ideas what that means? I googled for it, but didn't find an answer.