[Libav-user] Video and audio timing / syncing

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Mon Apr 1 05:27:26 CEST 2013

On Mar 31, 2013, at 7:50 PM, Brad O'Hearne <brado at bighillsoftware.com> wrote:

As a means of simplifying the root core of my problem even further, I've thought of an even simpler way to state the fundamental problem I'm having with FFmpeg encoding, here it is:

I have video frames, and the exact presentation time, decode time, and duration time of each frame. I do not, however, have any idea what the actual frame rate of the video is, nor can I determine that up front. Given avcodec's need for the time_base to be assigned a value prior to encoding, and given that time_base.den is expected to be the frame rate (which is fixed, i.e. doesn't change throughout the encoding process), how can I encode my video such that its timings are accurate during playback?

Thanks,

Brad