[Libav-user] Best way to create a fractional ms timer?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Mon Apr 1 16:02:55 CEST 2013

Le duodi 12 germinal, an CCXXI, "René J.V. Bertin" a écrit :
> I may be mistaken, but I think that the higher your timer precision, the
> lower the jitter such 'force-majeur' events produce (or, the jitter is
> proportional to your timer's precision). Right?

I believe you are wrong: you mix timer precision and time slice.

On a NOHZ Linux x86_64 kernel and an idle system, the precision of nanosleep
seems to be 100 µs, but if your system is busy, the process will be
preempted for a full time slice, and that is much larger, above 500 µs.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George