[Libav-user] Runtime ARM Neon detection?

Reuben Scratton reuben.scratton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:34:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

How can I get FFmpeg to detect and use ARM Neon code at runtime?

Problem:

If I compile with -mfpu=neon then FFmpeg blows up with SIGILL (ILLOPTPC)
when run on a non-Neon CPU.
If I compile with -mfpu=vfvp3 then FFmpeg runs fine, but presumably without
the optimized code because this is what I currently have and I am getting
performance complaints...

Would it be possible for FFmpeg to detect Neon at runtime? This is for
Android and the Android NDK does includes a demo project that shows how to
do CPU feature detection at runtime... that's the easy bit. I don't know
how or where to begin updating FFmpeg to use it.

Thanks,

Reuben