[Libav-user] RTMP + FLV + H.264 and dynamically changing resolution

Mike Nelson mike at realrunners.com
Tue Oct 7 21:47:26 CEST 2014

I'm working on a live broadcasting application using a camera. I'd like to
be able to dynamically change encoding settings (frame size, CRF, max
bitrate, etc...) when I run into resource constraints (network upload
bandwidth, cpu time to encode, etc...).

I've got it all working but when I restart the stream the client thinks the
stream has ended.
Any attempts to restart the stream without closing and opening the RTMP
connection results in either an indefinite pause, or sometimes (in the case
of VLC) a crash!

Does anyone know if it is even possible to switch resolutions on the fly
when using RTMP + FLV?

Many thanks,
Mike Nelson