[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Thu Aug 11 10:37:38 CEST 2005

Martin Boehme wrote:
> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> Rich Felker wrote:
>>> IMO, external. If people want these codecs in lavc they should port
>>> them to use the native lavc dsp functions, etc. rather than linking
>>> external libraries with limited-functionality wrappers.
>> Then, "once more with feeling": why is such an important codec as MPEG
>> Audio Level-3 (aka mp3) still using liblame?
> Would interest me too... I always assumed automatically it was because
> of Fraunhofer IIS and their litigiousness...
> Martin
The usual thing done in lavc for litigious codecs is to put them under
#if. And that's probably the reason mp3lame has to be explicitly
activated during configure. It doesnt explain why an external lib is
tolerated there.

Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
MediaXim S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles
Tel : +32 2 790.29.41