[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Alexander Strange astrange
Thu Aug 11 18:18:34 CEST 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 4:16 AM, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Then, "once more with feeling": why is such an important codec as
> MPEG Audio Level-3 (aka mp3) still using liblame?

Well, LAME is an extraordinarily heavily tuned mp3 encoder; it would
take a lot of work for an internal encoder to not end up sounding
like BladeEnc.

Something I've always wondered is why ffmpeg has an internal copy of
liba52, rather than an actual ac3 decoder that uses ffmpeg's dsp
functions.