[Ffmpeg-devel] av_seek_frame() units

Andy Parkins andyparkins
Tue Jul 5 12:25:05 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 2005 July 05 10:14, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > av_seek_frame( fmtCtx, -1, TARGET_PTS, AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD );
> > CodecCtx->hurry_up = 1;
> > do {
> >     av_read_frame( fmtCtx, &Packet );
> >     // should really be checking that this is a video packet
> >     MyPts = Packet.pts / Packet.duration *
> > 	AV_TIME_BASE / av_q2d( Stream->r_frame_rate);
>
> this is completely wrong, the division by Packet.duration makes no sens and
> its 1/Stream.time_base not Stream->r_frame_rate which should be used

Yep; I kind of knew that. However, this is the only method I could find to do
this.  While it is completely wrong, it is working - how should I be
calculating a PTS from the packet that is comparable with a real time code?

I got the calculation of frame period from the email that Kenneth Aafl?y sent
on Saturday, "Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Frame count/seeking".  In light of your
comments would the following be more correct?

    MyPts = Packet.pts / Packet.duration * Stream.time_base;

This obviously still contains the dodgy " / Packet.duration"; which I'm using
to create a frame counter - is there a frame count already in the packet?

Andy

--
Dr Andrew Parkins, M Eng (hons), AMIEE