[Ffmpeg-devel] OT: cdrecord

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Jul 31 03:40:06 CEST 2005

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:47:59PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

>> > because joerg schilling is a complete idiot. cdrecord does not need
>> > root whatsoever. just set proper permissions on the device you want it
>> > to use, and don't run with root at all.
>>
>> cdrecord needs root privileges to run with realtime priority or
>> something similar.
>
> realtime priority is not useful; joerg just claims it is. i've nver
> used realtime priority, even when i had an old burner, and all modern
> burners have "burnproof" functionality which turns off the laser when
> the buffer drains and resyncs and resumes burning when more data is
> available, all in hardware with no software intervention.

I'll second that.  I've always run cdrecord as a regular user, and
I've yet to burn a coaster as a result of that.  A few burns have
failed, but none would have been helped by running with root
permissions.

> the "cd burning software must run realtime" thing is a myth born out
> of joerg's ego, whereby he thinks every program written by him must be
> given godlike permissions just because he is a god...
>
> rich
>
> p.s. any real god of coding would never recommend running their code
> with more privileges/priority than it needs. *thinks of chris evans*

Rich, for once I totally agree with you.

Thankfully, I have a DVD burner, and can use dvd+rw-tools, which don't
print stupid "warnings", or any other bullshit.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com