[Ffmpeg-devel] mpeg transport streams

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Jun 3 14:59:43 CEST 2005

"Marcus Hunger" <marcus.hunger at mugler.de> writes:

>> > Frames do not get interleaved which should be no problem at high
>> > bitrates.
>>
>> The problems caused by not interleaving frames do not depend on the
>> bitrate.  The thing is, a large video frame can easily take 100 ms to
>> transmit, which means that the decoder would have to buffer that
>> amount of audio data.  Many (hardware) decoder have much smaller
>> buffers than this.
>
> I don't get your point. The decoder is forced to buffer data anyway
> until the pcr reaches the pts. Since they might differ of about
> 50000 (> 100ms) I don't see any improvement in interleaving.

I'm sure of the exact mechanics of it, but I've seen things break
without proper interleaving.  No real decoder is anything remotely
resembling the STD.

>> > I introduced setting a discontinuity indicator for the first pcr so
>> > concatenating ts-files should be possible. Doing this still causes
>> > cc-discontinuity-errors and I have no easy idea how to avoid them.
>>
>> If you set the discontinuity indicator properly the demuxer should
>> ignore a discontinuity in the continuity counter.  I wouldn't be
>> surprised if many demuxers ignored the entire continuity issue.
>
> I wonder, if I implemented the standard right. My analizer says I
> didn't. But I have no clue what's wrong.

What analyzer are you using?  Just curious.

> Our settop-box in fact does not care about it.

As I said, most decoders will simply do the best they can with
whatever you throw at them.  The continuity counter is of very little
significance to the decoding process.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com