[Ffmpeg-devel] CyberLink PowerCinema for Linux

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Jun 6 18:24:31 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 06:12:35PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > It contains more tarballs and a few patches.  Among them is an
> > unmodified version of MPlayer 1.0pre7 and an object file in the ffmpeg
> > directory:
> >
> > http://mplayerhq.hu/~diego/PCMLinux_GPL_sources/ffmpeg/ff_all.o
> >
> > Can anybody make heads or tails of this one?  There is no source code,
> > which they should be distributing alongside the object file...
>
> That's a few C++ classes (VideoPictureQueue, PacketQueue, Decoder,
> and a few others), some of which use the normal lavc/lavf API.  There
> are also references to Python and SDL, and of course libc.  The
> wonderful tool "nm" will tell you all this.

Yes, I already ran it through nm and strings, but being unfamiliar with
ffmpeg internals, I could not tell if this was an unmodified version or
not.

> My understanding of the LGPL is that there is no requirement to
> release source code to that file.

That's not my understanding, which is based on LGPL ?4:

    4. You may copy and distribute the Library (or a portion or
  derivative of it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form
  under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you accompany
  it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which
  must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
  medium customarily used for software interchange.

    If distribution of object code is made by offering access to copy
  from a designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy the
  source code from the same place satisfies the requirement to
  distribute the source code, even though third parties are not
  compelled to copy the source along with the object code.

Diego